6 Ways to Join a Credit Union
Credit unions are for everyone, but the law places some limits on the people they may serve. A credit union's charter defines its "field of membership," which could be an employer, church, school, or community. Anyone working for an employer that sponsors a credit union, for example, is eligible to join that credit union.
If you don't belong, here's how to find a credit union to join:
- Call the Nebraska Credit Union League - A representative will tell you about credit unions in your area that you are eligible to join. The League will be happy to help you find a credit union by calling (800) 950-4455.
- Ask your boss - Your company may sponsor a credit union, or may be a select employee group (SEG) that has access to a credit union. Many employers offer direct deposit of payroll to your credit union.
- Poll your family - Does your spouse's employer sponsor a credit union? Most credit unions allow credit union members' families to join. Each credit union, however, may define "family" differently. At some, only members of your immediate family are eligible. At other credit unions, family may include extended family members, such as cousins, uncles, and aunts.
- Quiz the neighbors - Some credit unions have a "community" field of membership, serving a region defined by geography rather than by employment or some other association. Ask friends in the community if they know of a credit union you may join.
- Read the yellow pages - Some credit unions rarely advertise, so you might not know about them unless you look them up. A yellow pages display ad may state a credit union's field of membership. If not, at least you'll know what number to call to ask about membership eligibility.
You could be eligible to join a credit union through where you live, work, worship, or a group affiliation. To find out which credit unions you are eligible to join, click here to use aSmarterChoice or click on the logo below.
You can also contact us directly at the Nebraska Credit Union League. Call toll-free during normal business hours at 1-800-950-4455, 402-333-9331, or e-mail email@example.com and we'll help you find a credit union.